Sunday, August 23, 2026
banner
Home FeaturedErdogan Says Egypt Could Join Turkiye-Saudi-Pakistan Defence Pact

Erdogan Says Egypt Could Join Turkiye-Saudi-Pakistan Defence Pact

by News Desk
0 comments

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has said Egypt could become the next country to join a new defence agreement linking Turkiye, Saudi Arabia and Pakistan, describing Cairo’s participation as a realistic possibility as the pact remains open to additional members.

Speaking in an exclusive interview with Al Jazeera, Erdogan said the recently signed Mecca Joint Defence Agreement requires its members to act together if any one of them comes under external attack.

He said the arrangement had already sent a significant political and security message internationally and suggested Egypt could be included as the alliance develops.

The agreement, also known as the Mecca Pact, was signed in Saudi Arabia by Erdogan, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Pakistani Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif.

Under the pact, an armed attack against one member would be treated as an attack against all three.

That collective-defence provision has prompted comparisons with NATO’s Article 5, although officials have stressed that the agreement should not be seen simply as a Middle Eastern version of NATO or as an alliance targeting one particular state.

Egypt Could Become Fourth Member

Erdogan said Egypt’s accession was among the possibilities being considered as the new arrangement expands.

Cairo has maintained close relations with Saudi Arabia and has also been working to improve ties with Turkiye, making its potential participation strategically significant.

Adding Egypt would broaden the pact’s geographic and military weight, linking several of the region’s most influential states with nuclear-armed Pakistan.

However, the exact timetable for any Egyptian decision remains unclear.

The Turkish president’s comments indicate that the agreement is intended to remain flexible rather than closed to its three founding members.

Erdogan Calls for Reopening of Strait of Hormuz

Erdogan also addressed tensions surrounding the Strait of Hormuz, saying reopening the strategically important waterway was a priority for Turkiye.

He argued that keeping the strait closed would not benefit any side.

The waterway is one of the world’s most important energy routes, meaning disruption can have major consequences for global oil markets and regional security.

Economics

Erdogan also praised Qatar’s mediation efforts, saying Doha had played an important role in attempts to reduce regional fighting.

Turkiye Pledges Support for Syria

The Turkish president said Ankara would continue supporting neighbouring countries affected by instability, particularly Syria.

He said Turkiye would do everything possible to promote stability there and indicated that he plans to visit the country.

Erdogan also addressed the position of Syria’s Kurdish population, saying Kurdish communities should benefit from peace and stability.

He added that Turkiye intended to strengthen ties with Kurdish communities and support their rights across the wider region.

Erdogan Says Turkiye Will Continue Backing Gaza

On Gaza, Erdogan reiterated Ankara’s support for Palestinians and said Turkiye would not abandon the territory.

He argued that Hamas had been fulfilling its commitments in good faith while accusing Israel of continuing military operations.

Turkiye has remained one of the strongest regional critics of Israel’s campaign in Gaza and has repeatedly called for greater international pressure to end the fighting.

Erdogan suggested Ankara would continue diplomatic and political efforts in support of Gaza.

Israeli Attacks on Lebanon Raise Concern

The Turkish leader also expressed concern about continued Israeli attacks on Lebanon.

He said he had discussed the issue with US President Donald Trump during Trump’s recent visit to Turkiye.

According to Erdogan, he emphasised Washington’s ability to play an important role in ending the conflict.

Turkiye has sought to position itself as an influential diplomatic actor in several of the Middle East’s ongoing crises.

Sudan and Libya Remain Important to Ankara

Erdogan said Turkiye would also continue supporting Sudan.

He described his relationship with Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, head of Sudan’s Sovereignty Council, as positive.

The Turkish president also said Ankara’s relationship with Libya remained stable and stressed that Turkiye would not abandon the country.

Turkiye has maintained strong political, economic and military interests in Libya for years and remains an important external player there.

EU Membership No Longer a Turkish Priority

Turning to Europe, Erdogan said he no longer believed the European Union was genuinely prepared to admit Turkiye.

He said EU membership was therefore no longer a central priority for Ankara.

Erdogan argued that Europe would ultimately lose more from Turkiye remaining outside the bloc.

Turkiye has formally pursued EU membership for decades, but negotiations have largely stalled amid disagreements over democracy, foreign policy and regional disputes.

Erdogan Says Trump Made F-35 Commitment

Erdogan also said he had received a promise from Trump concerning F-35 fighter jets and was waiting for that commitment to be fulfilled.

Turkiye was removed from the multinational F-35 programme in 2019 after purchasing Russia’s S-400 air defence system.

Washington argued that operating the Russian system alongside the F-35 could expose sensitive information about the stealth fighter’s technology.

The United States later imposed sanctions on Turkiye under the Countering America’s Adversaries Through Sanctions Act.

Trump recently indicated that his administration was considering lifting sanctions and potentially reopening the path for Turkiye to return to the F-35 programme.

However, any transfer of the aircraft would still face major obstacles in the US Congress.

Existing US legislation prevents the Pentagon from transferring F-35s to Turkiye while Ankara retains the S-400 system.

Mecca Pact Could Reshape Regional Security

Erdogan’s comments suggest Turkiye sees the new defence pact as part of a broader effort to strengthen regional security cooperation at a time of growing instability across the Middle East.

The agreement brings together three countries with substantial military capabilities and leaves the door open for others to join.

Egypt’s participation would significantly increase the pact’s political importance and strengthen its position across the Arab world and eastern Mediterranean.

For now, the alliance remains in its early stages, and many questions remain over how its collective-defence commitment would work in practice.

But Erdogan’s suggestion that Egypt could join indicates that the three founding members may already be considering a much wider regional security framework.

You may also like

Leave a Comment